The European Film Festival Zimbabwe 2020 is calling on all filmmaker’s from across Zimbabwe and Zimbabweans in the diaspora (Europe) to participate in the launch of this year’s virtual short film competition, BIOSKOP!
The theme for this year’s competition is ‘Life as we DON’T know it.’ What happens next? What will the new ‘normal’ be? It’s in times like these, that you the artist, the creative, the filmmaker, can offer us fresh perspective and inspiration for the future.
This competition is open to all genres of film (animation, documentary, live-action). We understand that things are tough at the moment and that resources might be limited, so films will be judged for content and creativity, as well as their technical aspects.
So, let’s get innovative! Use your phone, dust off that old digital camera, work with what you can. We might be physically restricted in terms of our movements, but our minds and imagination can take us anywhere!
To be eligible for this competition you must be of Zimbabwean heritage, based, living or working in Zimbabwe or in any European country.
- Official (Jury) Competition/Categories/Awards/Prize Money
- An independent jury panel made up of industry professionals, academics, community and business leaders judge all films in the official competition.
- The categories/awards are as follows, with the selected winners receiving a cash prize:
- Best Narrative Short – Winner USD400
- Best Documentary Short – Winner USD400
- Best Sound Editing – Winner USD200
- Best Cinematography – Winner USD200
- Best Diaspora Film – Winner USD200
- Films from all genres can be submitted for application. Only short films up to a maximum length of 45minutes and not older than two years (January 2019) * are accepted. The deadline for the submissions is 14th October 2020. Each film must be submitted via https://filmfreeway.com/TheEuropeanFilmFestivalZimbabwe and provide the requested material.
- In the case of a selection, the submitted film may be shown several times during the festival period. Should the film win a prize at The European Film Festival Zimbabwe, it may also be shown twice as part of best-of programs following the festival. In this case, the entrant will be notified in advance.
- Submission Format
- We will only be accepting films in digital format (mp4, mov). If the original version is in a language other than English, the film needs to be subtitled in English.
- How do I submit my film?
Click on the Film Freeway BIOSKOP! Zimbabwe Short Film competition link below, click the submit button and fill in the required information. Submissions will be open until 14 October 2020 (12pm CAT). NO Entry fee required. Link: https://filmfreeway.com/TheEuropeanFilmFestivalZimbabwe
- As the filmmaker, studio or institution submitting the film, you are responsible for clearing all rights to the content of the work relevant to the film’s use by the Festival. By submitting, you state that you have the representative authority for the screening or other use of the film by the Festival and that it does not infringe rights held by third parties (e. g. copyrights, personality or trademark rights), and that the rights to any material produced by others (music, film footage, photographs, text etc.) used in the film have been cleared.
- You furthermore shall indemnify the European Film Festival Zimbabwe against all third-party claims in connection with screening/using the film in the course of the Festival. This includes covering any legal costs that might be incurred.
The directors of submitted films that are accepted will be notified via e-mail on the 11th of November 2020. There will be a list of accepted films announced on our social media platforms. We will be unable notify those who have not been selected. Winners in the listed categories will be announced on the 18th of November 2020.
- Press and Promotional Material
- With the submission of the film, the festival is permitted to use the film title, credits and the name of the director as well as film stills and film excerpts (max. 60 seconds) for general promotion within the framework of the festival (incl. TV, web, cinema, showreel).
- The images will also be used for the European Film Festival Zimbabwe print products (festival publications) and online media (websites, apps, social media channels) where they will remain available without any time or territorial restrictions.
- The festival also reserves the right to make a password-protected copy of the film accessible to representatives of the press or selected industry professionals.